[llvm-dev] Need help with code generation

Rafael EspĂ­ndola via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Mar 21 14:55:38 PDT 2016

>> Right now lld is already harder to crash than llvm. We are just being
>> honest about the fact that it is possible to craft a .o file that will
>> crash it.
>

> But the difference seems to be you know about these cases and don't consider
> them to be bugs/anything to fix. In LLVM if they're known, they're at least
> considered bugs and often/usually considered by someone to be worth fixing
> at some point.

>From the user seeing a crash, what is the difference? lld will crash
less often than llvm.

If someone really cares (I don't), they can write a patch. Such a
patch would be evaluated on its cost and benefits. Given that its
benefits are close to nothing (don't crash when someone is playing
with hexedit?), the cost would have to be *really* low. Also, we are
not even in a position to evaluate the cost right now, since we still
have actual features to implement.

Cheers,
Rafael