[llvm-dev] Need help with code generation

Mehdi Amini via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Mar 21 14:53:55 PDT 2016

> On Mar 21, 2016, at 1:11 PM, Rui Ueyama via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 8:57 PM, Tim Northover <t.p.northover at gmail.com <mailto:t.p.northover at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >> You say this was decided in a thread recently- could you please point me
> >> at that? I find this really hard to believe.
> >
> > Please find it yourself, that was a long thread.
>
> Not helpful. The thread appears to be available here:
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.compilers.llvm.devel/92955 <http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.compilers.llvm.devel/92955>.
>
> >The current decision was
> > not made lightly, so please respect that and take your time to understand
> > the situation.
>
> It was, however, made extremely controversially.
>
> That is I guess we needed a decision. And the decision was made for not sparking the same discussion again so soon.

It is important to mention that the "decision" (as I understood it) was about the discussion itself going nowhere, not about settling on the state and goals of lld itself as a LLVM project. The current state of the discussion is AFAIK that multiple members of the community feeling strongly against the current way, and the (non-MachO) lld developers moved on with their way despite this opposition.

--
Mehdi