[llvm-dev] Need help with code generation

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Mar 21 14:52:14 PDT 2016

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 2:48 PM, Rui Ueyama via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> It seems that it is repeating the same discussion again, unfortunately.

For myself, I find this thread to contain a new discussion (is crashing by
design) from the previous (is exit(1)/non-API-usable-behavior for
obscure/erroneous inputs by design) discussion. Perhaps I misunderstood or
didn't catch the part where crashing/assert/UB was included in the previous
discussion.

> I believe that everybody can at least accept either is reasonable choice.

I'm less inclined to accept that UB/crash/assert failure is a reasonable
choice for a release product (for a dev tool like bugpoint, llc, etc, I
sort of accept it) even for obscure inputs.