[llvm-dev] Existing studies on the benefits of pointer analysis

George Burgess IV via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Mar 21 13:10:04 PDT 2016

As of late-August 2015, putting CFL-AA behind BasicAA caused miscompiles
when trying to bootstrap Clang/LLVM, yeah. It didn't seem that there were
many new errors (I think it caused ~10 tests to fail, where fail = either
segv or produce the wrong output), but it did end up breaking things. I
don't recall if standalone CFL-AA causes miscompiles, but I highly doubt
the breakages I observed were BasicAA's fault.

WRT speed, `time make -j14` on my box (6c/12t) didn't show a meaningful
increase in compile time when CFL-AA gets enabled (read: it got lost in the
noise). So, I agree that it's probably fast enough at the moment; if we
want to enhance it, we should focus on making it bootstrap
clang+LLVM/making it more accurate.