[llvm-dev] lld COFF auto-import feature

Reid Kleckner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 18 16:12:12 PDT 2016

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 2:42 AM, Rui Ueyama via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Technically we can add the feature, but I'm skeptical if it's worth the
> cost associated with it. Also, if you rely on that feature, then your
> program is no longer linkable with the MSVC linker, so I'd expect that most
> people would continue using declspec(dllimport) anyways. That means the
> feature wouldn't be used often.

Auto-imports seem like a really useful tool for porting Unix-y code to
Windows. Before we go there, though, we really need a GNU-style command
line syntax for LLD. Doing auto-imports kind of puts the cart before the
horse.

I continue to think supporting the GNU syntax is a good idea. Martell
posted some patches for mignw a while back, but Rui felt they were too
invasive. I don't know what the right design is, but I'm sure with some
effort we could find the right balance.