[llvm-dev] We really need more community involvement with GSoC

vivek pandya via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 18 05:47:27 PDT 2016

Note : I do not mean to compare or criticize any organization. This is
based on my experience.

Dear Community,

I have subscribed llvm-dev list for last 6 months and I follow most of the
thread when it makes sense to me. I have observed that some times some
mails do not get any kind of response. Mostly novice students and some one
trying to use LLVM in the research have many questions.
I respect all community members and I understand that working for top
companies or colleges keep them very busy. So when I go on IRC same things
happens ( I keep my self up late night to sync with timezone so I get many
people to ask on IRC).
 Personally if I stretch my self and read some older mail chains, I am able
to get answers to my questions 80% of time, but some time I just get stuck
and some times to understand output and "why it has happen so" a novice may
require help from you people.

I have just one suggestion that is not particular to GSoC but it applies in
general. Actually Drupal.org uses this idea. See this
https://www.drupal.org/core-office-hours
Every Monday and Wednesday they keep a session on IRC  (just textual chat)
dedicated to novice student may be an hour long or so. To keep main channel
undisturbed we may have a separate channel. (or slack.com )  The time
chosen for both days are very different so that they can cover may time
zones. 2 or 3 experienced community members attends this session and
answers to the each kind of questions from participant. This will help
students and researchers very much. Specially if they are not able to
progress by their own.
I have been benefited from this on Drupal. LLVM is more complex code base
than Drupal. And I believe that your 60 minutes may save their days.

Sincerely,
Vivek