[llvm-dev] Trunk: LLVM build is failing with a lot of `undefined reference` errors

Evgeny Astigeevich via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Mar 17 03:23:44 PDT 2016

Hi Aleksander,

By default the build type is Debug. It uses a lot of memory because object files contain debug information. Each linking process consumes up to 4 GB of memory. Ninja runs several linking processes at the same time.
If you want to build debug builds and work with them I recommend you to have 32 GB or more for comfortable work.
Solutions to memory problems:
1. Build a release version giving the following to cmake: -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release
    Other options for type are RelWithDebInfo and MinSizeRel. And of course Debug.
2. Use gold instead of ld for linking.

The failed tests are MemorySanitizer tests. They were failing on Ubuntu 14.04 during preparation of 3.8.0 release. I don't know their current status.
I think you can ignore this if you are not going to use MemorySanitizer.

Kind regards,
Evgeny Astigeevich