[llvm-dev] RFC: DenseMap grow() slowness

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 15 15:15:11 PDT 2016

----- Original Message -----

This last option makes perfect sense to me. One thing we might be able to do regarding the extra memory overhead is, instead of actually resizing up front, to start with a relatively small map, but use the function size to set the growth factor so that we grow only a small number of times (say once) in the worst case.

-Hal

> Any thoughts on this, or other less ugly alternatives? I estimate
> that, at least in our pass pipeline, we’re losing at least ~1% of
> total time to avoidable DenseMap::grow() operations, which feels a
> little bit… unnecessary.

> —escha

Hal Finkel
Assistant Computational Scientist