[llvm-dev] Status of the official LLVM APT repositories

Johan Engelen via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Mar 12 05:15:27 PST 2016

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 10:30 PM, Sylvestre Ledru via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Le 09/03/2016 à 21:44, Yury V. Zaytsev a écrit :
> > On Wed, 9 Mar 2016, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
> >
> >> This is still maintained. However the cmake transition (for both 3.8
> >> and 3.9) wasn't simple... While it should be fine for debian, it
> >> might need more work for old Ubuntu (back port of cmake)
> >
> > Hi Sylvestre,
> >
> > Thank you for the clarification! Any ETAs on when the APT repositories
> > are going to be updated with LLVM 3.8 & 3.9 builds?
> >
> I fixed the snapshot builds today in Debian itself (
>
> https://ftp-master.debian.org/new/llvm-toolchain-snapshot_1:3.9~svn262954-1.html
> )
> Hopefully, most of the builds are going to be OK.
>
> > I'm not sure how clean / dirty of a solution you'd be okay with, but
> > I'd just point out that CMake developers provide working binary
> > tarballs for Linux with every release at https://cmake.org/download/ .
> > So, if you are not a purist and/or need the CMake backport for some
> > other reasons anyways, it's as simple as just unpacking it on the
> > builder and adding to the front of the PATH variable. I use this
> > approach on my Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise) builders, as a proper backport
> > simply isn't worth the effort for my purposes, since they are going to
> > be decommissioned rather soon anyways and it's working very nicely.
> >
> I will give it a try.

Thank you very much for working on this!
The LDC team is using Travis CI to test LDC against LLVM 3.5-3.9 and we
depend on these APT repositories: Travis CI is using Ubuntu Precise.
LLVM 3.8 is available (svn 257166), but LLVM 3.9 is not [1].

Best regards,
  Johan Engelen

[1] Tested 7 days ago,
https://github.com/travis-ci/apt-package-whitelist/issues/2671