[llvm-dev] RFC: Pass to prune redundant profiling instrumentation

Vedant Kumar via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 11 18:00:05 PST 2016

> [...]
>    FE-generated counters to counters generated by the IR instrumentation pass.
>    David likes this proposal.
>
>    I have some questions about this but am willing to try it. IMO, the pruning
>    pass I've suggested could complement this nicely -- I don't view them as
>    mutually exclusive (though I could be wrong).
>
> 5. There seems to be consensus over the need to improve performance of
>    FE-instrumented programs.
>
> 6. David is concerned that the proposed pruning pass is too narrow in scope,
>    and would like to see results on a larger benchmark. I'll try to get some
>    numbers.
>
> 7. David mentioned some optimizations that are possible if we make coverage
>    information "yes or no" (per line). Justin pointed out that this doesn't
>    work for a few of Apple's use cases.
>

> Clarifications
> ==============
>
> 1. In my original email, two of my numbers were incorrect. I listed the
>    sizes of the __llvm_prf_alias sections, not the number of actual aliases.
>    The corrected lines are:
>
> O3 + PGOInstr + Pruning:      0.606s (8.6% performance win, _42_ aliases)
> O3 + CoverageInstr + Pruning: 0.610s (11.6% performance win, _44_ aliases)
>
> 2.
>
> >>  Determine which profile counters are essential.
> >
> > What is an "essential counter"?
>
> The pass I proposed works like this:
>
>   for (PC : ProfileCounters) {
>     if (Update-Sites-Of(PC) == Update-Sites-Of(Other-PC)) {
>       mark PC as "essential"
>       mark Other-PC as "redundant" (i.e, alias of PC)
>     }
>   }
>
> Where Update-Sites-Of(PC) is the set of basic blocks in which PC is updated.
> If there are multiple counters updated in each update site for PC, they are
> all marked as aliases in one pass.
>

> 3.
>
> >> Erase all updates to redundant profile counters.
> >
> > When you are saying "erase", you need to actually replace the multiple counter increment with *a new* counter, right? I.e. when replacing:
> >
> >     instrprof_increment(profc_f2);
> >     instrprof_increment(profc_f1);
> >
> > you need to emit:
> >
> >     instrprof_increment(profc_f2f1_fused);
>

> No. The pass only erases updates to counters which it can prove are
> truly redundant. There is no need to create a new (or fused) counter
> because profc_f1 == profc_f2 in all possible profiles.
>
> Oh, this makes it substantially less useful I would think (and I misunderstood your original proposal the same way that Mehdi did here).
> I guess I'm not sure what situations your proposed transformation would catch.
> The only one I can think of is something like:
> - function foo() has an entry counter
> - function bar() calls foo() from a BB that has a counter
> - function bar() is the only caller of foo() and calls it in only one BB.
> Can you add some debug dumping to your pass and give some real-world examples of counters that it merges?

I still have the pruned IR from the example I brought up at the start
of the thread:

  https://ghostbin.com/paste/qus2s

Look for the __llvm_prf_alias section.

> The fused counter approach (or the one I suggested which is just a generalization of that (see below)) seems like it can reduce the number of counter updates much more.
>

> 4.
>
> >> The complexity of this pass is O(N*M), where N is the number of profile
> >> counters, and M is the average number of updates per counter.
> >
> > What you're describing here is not clear to me? But I may have been totally misunderstanding the whole concept :)
>
> Hopefully the pseudo-code helps? Alternatively I can put a WIP patch up
> on Phab.
>
> > It should be just O(N) where N is the number of instructions.
>
> The complexity of the pass is not upper-bounded by the number of
> instructions in the program because certain loads and stores can be visited
> more than once.
>

> FE to IR Counter Remapping
> ==========================
>
> I have a question about this plan:
>
> > for each CFG edge:
> >     record which FE counters have ended up associated with it
> > remove FE counters
> > run IR instrumentation pass
> > emit a side table mapping IR instr counters to FE counters
>
> Currently, -instrprof happens early in the pipeline. IIUC this is done to
> allow the optimizer to work with load+add+stores, instead of profile update
> intrinsics.
>
> Say we introduce a counter remapping pass like the one Sean suggested. It
> should be run before -instrprof so that we don't waste time lowering a bunch
> of instrprof_increment intrinsics which we'll have to throw away later.
>
> But that means that the CFGs that the counter remapping pass operates on won't
> reflect changes made by the inliner (or any other optimizations which alter the
> CFG), right?
>
> ISTM the pruning pass I've proposed is useful whether we're doing FE-based
> instrumentation _or_ late instrumentation. Since it operates on loads+stores
> directly, it can clean up redundant counter increments at any point in the
> pipeline (after -instrprof).
>

> What I suggested would operate on loads/stores and could be used for cleanup at any point in the pipeline too.
>
> It would just be a generic transformation "okay, we have some set of counter updates chosen earlier in the pipeline that are now mangled / made redundant by further optimization; let's re-run counter placement and emit some side tables mapping the newly chosen counters to the original counters". I'm not sure how complicated it is to reconstruct one set of counters from the other (just linear combinations, I think? So hopefully not too complicated).

I think I understand what you're proposing.

To not break code coverage, we would need to emit the 'side table' you described
into the binary (so that we can correctly evaluate counter expressions).

While I think this is feasible and can get better results, it might not *also* be
simpler than running pass I described. IMO what you've described would take more
work to implement and would put a higher burden on the compiler (the pipeline looks
something like -instrprof, -remove-counters, -pgo-instr-gen, -remap-counters).
That's not a bad thing -- just something to be aware of.

vedant