[llvm-dev] RFC: Proposing an LLVM subproject for parallelism runtime and support libraries

Arpith C Jacob via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Mar 10 08:38:46 PST 2016

Hi Jason,

I'm trying to better understand your StreamExecutor proposal and how it
relates to other parallel programming models and runtimes such as RAJA [1],
KOKKOS [2], or some hypothetical SPARK C++ API.

Please correct me if I'm misunderstanding your proposal, but I think the
essence of what you want from the compiler is type safety for accelerator
kernel launches, i.e., you would like the frontend to parse, check, and
codegen for the construct:
add_mystery_value<<<1, 1>>>(kernel_input_argument, *result.ptr());

Is that a correct understanding?

Thanks,
Arpith

[1]