[llvm-dev] Problem with mingw32 DLL build

Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Mar 10 07:22:09 PST 2016

I'm about to switch over the the conclusion here since I've already gotten
this wrong a few times. =[

However, I want to say for the record that I don't really think we should
keep supporting this kind of DLL builds given the limitations of DLLs when
it comes to correctly implementing these aspects of C++. I suspect we
should really move toward having an LLVM.dll (and a LTO.dll, etc) and only
using static linking within that on Windows. (I know that actually
producing an LLVM.dll is a huge challenge currently due to CMake and other
issues.) Trying to support the fully shared build with the limitations of
DLLs when it only even somewhat works on one platform (mingw32, as other
things prevent it from working w/ MSVC from my understanding of
conversations with Reid) seems like a losing battle and to have a high cost
for very little gain for the community.