[llvm-dev] Formalize "revert for more design review" policy.

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 8 21:22:11 PST 2016

On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 9:13 PM, Hal Finkel <hfinkel at anl.gov> wrote:

> [...]

I think this is slightly problematic - it's not uncommon that we have new
contributors send something for review, then without waiting very long (by
our community standards - which is admittedly quite a while, but seen this
in under a week, etc) and then commit. This usually results in a knee-jerk
"please revert".

Committing prematurely shouldn't be a way to cause a priority increase for
a patch.

But, yeah, that doesn't necessarily address the sort of situations that
instigated this thread either. Probably reasonable to expect someone to say
/something/ in a review after a certain point, if they want to review it.

(one piece of the review puzzle that may also not be formalized: generally
I treat review approval as being "I would feel comfortable committing this
without review" (ie: two people who wouldn't independently commit a patch
don't become able to commit it by consensus - but maybe that's not a bad
thing to allow, just not the way I've generally treated code review))

> Do we have a formal policy for other kinds of reverts? We also generally
> revert if someone claims to have bisected a miscompile to a particular
> commit, and this is true even if a test case is not immediately available
> (although we do need some kind of reproducer before too long).

Yeah, this gets into interesting territory as well - if the problem is bad
enough, we do generally accept reverting a patch without a reproducer being
currently available (but, as you say, expecting it to come along shortly
thereafter).