[llvm-dev] Deleting function IR after codegen

Larry Gritz via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 8 11:03:52 PST 2016

YES. My use of LLVM involves an app that JITs program after program and will quickly swamp memory if everything is retained. It is crucial to aggressively throw everything away but the functions we still need to execute.

I've been faking it with old JIT (llvm 3.4/3.5) by using a custom subclass of JITMemoryManager that squirrels away the jitted binary code so that when I free the Modules, ExecutionEngine, and MemoryManager, the real memory that got allocated for the binary code is hidden and does not get deallocated.

Currently I'm struggling with bringing my code base up to MCJIT without losing this ability, because the memory consumption is killing me.

Sometimes I think that clang as the canonical user of LLVM does not reflect the diversity of JIT-oriented LLVM use cases. An "offline" compiler like clang gets to exit after compiling a module, but other apps using LLVM may JIT module after module after module indefinitely.

For that kind of use case, it would be great to have as a first-class feature the ability to free the IR of a compiled module, and even better, to throw away the Module and EE entirely but keep the ability to call into the JITed binary function. Many apps would benefit from a stable API for doing this.

	-- lg

--
Larry Gritz
lg at larrygritz.com