[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] llvm and clang are getting slower

Daniel Berlin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 8 10:22:51 PST 2016

On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 9:55 AM, Hal Finkel via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> [...]

I think you hit on something that i would expand on:

We don't hold the line very well on adding little things to passes and
analysis over time.
We add 1000 little walkers and pattern matchers to try to get better code,
and then often add knobs to try to control their overall compile time.
At some point, these all add up. You end up with the same flat profile if
you do this everywhere, but your compiler gets slower.
At some point, someone has to stop and say "well, wait a minute, are there
better algorithms or architecture we should be using to do this", and
either do it, or not let it get worse :) I'd suggest, in most cases, we
know better ways to do almost all of these things.

Don't get me wrong, i don't believe there is any theoretically pure way to
do everything that we can just implement and never have to tweak.  But it's
a continuum, and at some point you have to stop and re-evaluate whether the
current approach is really the right one if you have to have a billion
little things to it get what you want.
We often don't do that.
We go *very* far down the path of a billion tweaks and adding knobs, and
what we have now, compile time wise, is what you get when you do that :)
I suspect this is because we don't really want to try to force work on
people who are just trying to get crap done.  We're all good contributors
trying to do the right thing, and saying no often seems obstructionist, etc.
The problem is at some point you end up with the tragedy of the commons.

(also, not everything in the compiler has to catch every case to get good
code)

>  1. We often use functions from ValueTracking (to get known bits, the
> number of sign bits, etc.) as through they're low cost. They're not really
> low cost. The problem is that they *should* be. These functions do
> bottom-up walks, and could cache their results. Instead, they do a limited
> walk and recompute everything each time. This is expensive, and a
> significant amount of our InstCombine time goes to ValueTracking, and that
> shouldn't be the case. The more we add to InstCombine (and related passes),
> and the more we run InstCombine, the worse this gets. On the other hand,
> fixing this will help both compile time and code quality.

(LVI is another great example. Fun fact: If you ask for value info for
everything, it's no longer lazy ....)

>   Furthermore, BasicAA has the same problem.
>
>  2. We have "cleanup" passes in the pipeline, such as those that run after
> loop unrolling and/or vectorization, that run regardless of whether the
> preceding pass actually did anything. We've been adding more of these, and
> they catch important use cases, but we need a better infrastructure for
> this (either with the new pass manager or otherwise).
>
> Also, I'm very hopeful that as our new MemorySSA and GVN improvements
> materialize, we'll see large compile-time improvements from that work. We
> spend a huge amount of time in GVN computing memory-dependency information
> (the dwarfs the time spent by GVN doing actual value numbering work by an
> order of magnitude or more).

I'm a working on it ;)