[llvm-dev] Deleting function IR after codegen

Rafael Espíndola via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Mar 7 18:46:22 PST 2016

I like the idea of deleting IR once we are at MC. Hopefully one day
even just after codegen.

> - The AsmPrinter is calling canBeOmittedFromSymbolTable on GlobalValue’s which then walks all their uses.  I think this should be done earlier in codegen as an analysis whose results are available to the AsmPrinter.

Starting with an analysis is probably the way to go. At some point it
might make sense to cache that information in the IR somehow for use
in LTO, but that will require some benchmarking to see if it is really
worth it.

Cheers,
Rafael