[llvm-dev] Building with LLVM_PARALLEL_XXX_JOBS

Chris Bieneman via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 1 14:32:55 PST 2016

Fabio, the work I was mentioning here is an extension beyond those blog posts.

Some details:

* The “almost 40%” number I referred to is a multi-stage clang build. That means we build a host-capable compiler, then build the actual compiler we want to ship.
* I’m at Apple, so points 1 and 2 are already covered (we only use clang, and ld64 is a fast linker).
* Our system compiler is PGO+LTO’d, but our stage1 isn’t. Stage1 isn’t because the performance improvement of PGO+LTO is less than the time it takes to build, and stage1 is basically a throwaway.
* We are using Ninja and CMake, but this configuration isn’t really significantly faster than autoconf/make, and actually “ninja install” is slower in my tests than the old autoconf “make install”. The slowdown is almost entirely due to Ninja’s “all” target being a lot bigger.
* This performance is for clean builds, not incremental so ccache or shared libraries would not be a valid optimization
* We do use optimized tablegen
* “Build Less” is exactly what the LLVM_DISTRIBUTION_COMPONENTS enables, just in a friendly wrapper target.

-Chris