[llvm-dev] The clang for centos6 are need GLIBC_2.14, but we only have GLIB 2.12 by default.

Brian Cain via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 28 11:26:59 PDT 2016

Sorry if I was unclear, I have no problems building clang against a newer
gcc for my own purpose.  But it doesn't make sense to provide a release
binary for clang that's hosted on llvm.org that's ostensibly for "centos6"
when it would really be bound to "centos6 plus the SCLO mirror which has
the dependency for a newer libstdc++".

The glibc 2.14 dependency is a result of the binary being built on a
platform new enough to have libstdc++4.7 or newer.  You could eliminate it
if you could find a CentOS release that has libstdc++4.7 and glibc2.12. But
ultimately you're still stuck with a runtime dependency on libstdc++ shared
objects that expect newer GLIBCXX_* symbols.

The newer gcc release is only needed at build-time.  Its byproduct/side
effect of bringing with it a newer libstdc++ is what creates a runtime
dependency.

It's my position that a CentOS 6.0-6.x release binary for clang newer than
3.4.2 is not possible unless CentOS team backports libstdc++4.7 release to
that CentOS release.  I'd be happy to learn I'm wrong about that claim BTW.

--
-Brian