[llvm-dev] The clang for centos6 are need GLIBC_2.14, but we only have GLIB 2.12 by default.

Brian Cain via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 28 10:15:21 PDT 2016

On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 11:50 AM, 罗勇刚(Yonggang Luo) <luoyonggang at gmail.com>
wrote:

> So CentOS before 6.7 is not an option after all?
> Is that possible to use clang on CentOS 6.6 and before?

Not with these binaries, unless you can update your libc/libstdc++.  In the
general sense -- yes, it's possible if you build from source.  There's a
couple of potential approaches: build against libc++, build against newer
libstdc++.  If you're more adventurous you could also try building with
ellcc.  That one requires patches but will yield a statically linked binary.

I built clang trunk/tip a few weeks ago on CentOS 6.0.  But I first built
the gcc6 suite, then used it to build clang.  I believe clang 3.4.2 is the
latest version that supports the older libstdc++.  I ran into challenges
with using clang so I stuck with gcc6.  The resulting binaries depend on
the gcc6 libraries so I can't really use this procedure to make a new
official release for centos.  If it's helpful I can publish the steps I
used, but really just followed the build instructions.

-Brian