[llvm-dev] Finding caller-saved registers at a function call site

Rob Lyerly via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 27 07:28:45 PDT 2016

Hi Sanjoy,

I'm having trouble finding caller-saved registers using the RegMask operand
you've mentioned.  As an example, I've got a C function that looks like
this:

double recurse(int depth, double val)
{
    if(depth < max_depth) return recurse(depth + 1, val * 1.2) + val;
    else return outer_func(val);
}

As a quick refresher, all "xmm" registers are considered caller-saved on
x86, hence values stored in these registers should be spilled to the stack
before a function call.  The generated assembly for branch containing the
call to "recurse" with clang/LLVM 3.8 (-O3) on Ubuntu 14.04 looks like this:

400694:       ff c7                   inc    %edi                   # Add 1
to depth
400696:       f2 0f 10 05 a2 92 05    movsd  0x592a2(%rip),%xmm0    # Move
constant 1.2 into xmm0
40069d:       00
40069e:       f2 0f 59 c1             mulsd  %xmm1,%xmm0            # val *
1.2
4006a2:       f2 0f 11 4d f8          movsd  %xmm1,-0x8(%rbp)       # Spill
val to the stack
4006a7:       e8 d4 ff ff ff          callq  400680 <recurse>
4006ac:       f2 0f 58 45 f8          addsd  -0x8(%rbp),%xmm0       #
recurse's return value + val
4006b1:       48 83 c4 10             add    $0x10,%rsp
4006b5:       5d                      pop    %rbp
4006b6:       c3                      retq

Notice how xmm1 (the storage location of "val", which is live across the
call to recurse) is saved onto the stack at an offset of -8 from the base
pointer.  After the call, "val" (i.e., storage location rbp - 0x8) is used
in the addition to calculate the returned value.  However, when I print the
RegMask operand for the call machine instruction, I get the following:

<regmask %BH %BL %BP %BPL %BX %EBP %EBX %RBP %RBX %R12 %R13 %R14 %R15 %R12B
%R13B %R14B %R15B %R12D %R13D %R14D %R15D %R12W %R13W %R14W %R15W>

I don't see xmm1 as being preserved across this call.  Am I missing
something?  Thanks for your help!

--
Rob Lyerly
Graduate Research Assistant, Systems Software Research Group