[llvm-dev] [GSoC 2016] [Weekly Status] Interprocedural Register Allocation

vivek pandya via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Jun 26 04:48:32 PDT 2016

Hello LLVM Developers,

Please follow summary of work done during this week.

Implementation:
============

During this week patch for bug fix 28144 is updated after finding more
refinement in remarks calculation. As per suggestion from Matthias Braun
and Hal Finkel regmask calculation code is same as
MachineRegisterInfo::isPhysRegModified() except no check of isNoReturnDef()
is required. So we proposed to add a bool argument SkipNoReturnDef with
default value false to isPhysRegModified method so that with out breaking
current use of isPhysRegModified we can reuse that code for the purpose of
IPRA. The patch can be found here : http://reviews.llvm.org/D21395

With IPRA to improve code quality, call site with local functions are
forced to have caller saved registers ( more improved heuristics will be
implemented ) I have been experimenting this on my local machine and I
discovered that tail call optimization is getting affected due to this
optimization and some test case in test-suite fails with segmentation fault
or infinite recursion due to counter value gets overwritten. Please find
more details and example bug at
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/llvm-dev/TSoYxeMMzxM/rb9e_M2iEwAJ

I have also tried a very simple method to handle indirect function in IPRA
but at higher optimization level, indirect function calls are getting
converted to direct function calls so I request interested community member
to guide me. We can have discussion about this on Monday morning (PDT).
More discussion on this can be found at here :
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/llvm-dev/dPk3lKwH1kU/GNfhD_jKEQAJ

Testing:

======

During this week I think that IPRA optimization is more stabilized after
having bug fix so have run test-suite with that and also as per suggestion
form Quentin Colombet I tested test-suite with only codegen order changed
to bottom up on call graph.  Overall this codegen order improves runtime
and compile time. I have shared results here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1At3QqEWmeDEXnDVz-CGh2GDlYQR3VRz3ipIfcXoLC3c/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hS-Cj3mEDqUCTKTYaJpoJpVOBk5E2wHK9XSGLowNPeM/edit?usp=sharing

Plan for next week:
1) Rebase pending patches and get the review process completed.
2) Solve tail call related bug.
3) Discuss some ideas and heuristics for improving IPRA.
4) Discuss how to handle indirect function call with in IPRA.
5) More testing with llvm test-suite

Sincerely,
Vivek