[llvm-dev] Newbie developer looking to contribute

Shashank Sinha via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 24 05:59:58 PDT 2016

Hi,

I am currently looking for some development project in the open source
community. I went through the community wiki and mailing list to find if
there existed any resource I could use to start working on something
interesting. After some reading and thinking, I am hoping someone can help
me understand the process of initiation of a new developer in the community
from selecting a bug/task/project to bringing it to the logical end.

I am versed in C, Java and Python. I consider myself a novice and hope
someone can help me find answers to the following questions:

1. How do I get started so I can select a task to work on ? Should I
interact with program, try to understand some code and then start working
on some bug or should I start with some feature request and then attack the
code directly, understanding as I code ?

2. Whom should I communicate with before starting any work on the task? I
do not want duplication of effort and ensures my effort is fruitful for the
project.

3. What is the usual way of ensuring I am making progress with my effort in
the field? Should I share task milestones with select few or share the
final patch in one go ?

Thanks for giving me direction and helping me out.

Regards,
Shashank Sinha

--
God created man, man created computer. Hence God created computer.