[llvm-dev] RFC: Comprehensive Static Instrumentation

Mehdi Amini via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 17 13:22:02 PDT 2016

> On Jun 17, 2016, at 11:56 AM, Reid Kleckner <rnk at google.com> wrote:
>
> Mehdi, I think TB is saying that LTO is actually *more* incremental than standard compilation for people writing instrumentation tools.
>
> It's far simpler to rebuild your CSI instrumentation hooks and re-run LTO on Apache than it is to re-run someone else's complicated build system.

I *highly* doubt about that. I’d even say that I’m heavily convinced of the opposite: any build system has a facility to add a compiler flag. What could be easier than adding `-csi=path_to_my_tool` to the CFLAGS?

On the other hand, LTO is a whole other beast. First you also need to modify the CFLAGS to enable LTO, so you don’t avoid the “complicated build system” interaction.
But then you’ll need to make sure the rest of the toolchain is compatible (Never had an issue with static archives? I did a lot of time!). Also what if the projects involves subprojects with dylib? You need to make sure every link is correctly performed with the instrumented runtime.

Nothing “impossible” here, but I don’t buy at all the “it is simpler” argument.

> In fact, you save all the time that clang would spend parsing C and C++ source code, since you're starting with several blobs of semi-optimized LLVM IR.

LTO alone on the clang binary is longer than a full clean build (and if you build all of the llvm binaries, we one or two order of magnitudes away), so it won't buy you anything. And even if it would (apparently on Apache httpd it would), I doubt it would be significant enough to make it an argument to *tie* the design to LTO.

> It's worth exploring what you mentioned up-thread, where you inline the instrumentation into the code during normal compliation instead of waiting until link time, but I think it makes more sense to make it easy to build tools before we try to make those new tools compile faster.

So a few line earlier your argument for relying on LTO was to save “parsing C and C++” (so basically compile time), and now you’re saying that “making those new tools compile faster” should not drive the design?

I agree with “making it easy to build tools” part, I just don’t see any reason why forcing to use LTO supports this goal.

> It seems like a nice-to-have feature for instrumentation tools that manage to graduate from research idea to production tool.

I believe this last sentence isn’t related to the LTO aspect, CSI looks like a great idea, let’s just do it in a way that it does not require LTO.

—
Mehdi