[llvm-dev] Intended behavior of CGSCC pass manager.

Sean Silva via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 16 23:51:06 PDT 2016

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 11:07 PM, Xinliang David Li <davidxl at google.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 10:47 PM, Sean Silva <chisophugis at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 9:53 PM, Xinliang David Li <davidxl at google.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Are we sure RefSCC has ref edges between {X, Y} and {S, T} in this
>>> case?  I may miss the code handling it.
>>>

>> The ref graph is conservative and so it would have the appropriate edges.
>>
>> https://github.com/llvm-project/llvm-project/blob/master/llvm/lib/Analysis/LazyCallGraph.cpp#L90
>>

> That is where the confusion is -- the findReferences's function body only
> handles constant operands which may be function addresses.  Did I miss
> something obvious?

It is somewhat subtle. There are 3 potential meanings of "call graph" in
this thread:
1. The graph of *direct calls* in the current module. (this is mutated
during optimization)
2. A supergraph of 1., conservatively chosen such 1. remains a subgraph
under arbitrary semantics-preserving function transformations (note: 2. and
1. must be updated in sync during deletion of functions).
3. The conservative graph representing all edges which may exist *at
runtime*.

LazyCallGraph models 1. (the "call graph") and 2. (the "ref graph"). It
does not model 3.
The search for constants in findReferences guarantees that we find (a
conserative superset of) all call destinations addresses that
transformations may add direct calls (and hence update 1.).

The existing CallGraph data structure (used by e.g. the old PM CGSCC
visitation) only models 1.

>   Another point is that it may not be practical to model edges to indirect
> targets. For virtual calls, without CHA, each virtual callsite will end up
> referencing all potential address taken functions.

In this statement, you are thinking in terms of 3.
Note that in both 1. and 2. the indirect calls are modeled as calling an
external dummy node. This dummy node is *distinct* from a second external
dummy node that calls all address-taken functions. (hence the indirect
calls do not end up forming a RefSCC with all address taken functions).

Note that `opt -dot-callgraph` can produce a graphviz file for the old PM
callgraph. I'm not sure if we have one for LazyCallGraph (which has both
ref graph and call graph); I'll post a patch adding one if not.

-- Sean Silva