[llvm-dev] [GSoC 2016] [Weekly Status] Interprocedural Register Allocation

vivek pandya via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 14 20:10:29 PDT 2016

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 6:16 AM, Quentin Colombet <qcolombet at apple.com>
wrote:

> Hi Vivek,
>
> How much of the slow down on runtime comes from the different layout of
> the function in the asm file? (I.e., because of the dummy scc pass.)
>
> Hello Quentin,

Please do not consider previous results as there was a major bug in RegMask
calculation due to not considering RegMasks of callee in MF body while
calculating register usage information, that has been fixed now ( as
discussed with Matthias Braun and Mehdi Amini ) and after this bugfix I
have run test-suite with and without IPRA.  Yes there is runtime slow down
for some test cases ranging from 1% to 64% similarly compile time slow down
is ranging from 1% to 48%. The runtime performance improvement is ranging
from 1% to 35% and surprisingly there is also compile time improvement in a
range from 1% to 60% . I would request you to go through complete results
at
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cavn-POrZdhw-rrdPXV8mSvyppvOWs2rxmLgaOnd6KE/edit?usp=sharing

Also there is not extra failure due to IPRA now so in the result above I
have removed failures.

Sincerely,
Vivek

> [...]
>>

>> On Sat, May 28, 2016 at 7:31 PM, vivek pandya <vivekvpandya at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear community,
>>>
>>> This is to brief you the progress of Interprocedural Register
>>> Allocation, for those who are interested to see the progress in terms of
>>> code please consider http://reviews.llvm.org/D20769
>>> This patch contains simple infrastructure to propagate register usage
>>> information of callee to caller in call graph. The code generation order is
>>> changed to follow bottom up order on call graph , Thanks to Mehdi Amini for
>>> the patch for the same !  I will write a blog on this very soon.
>>>
>>> So during this week as per the schedule proposed it should be study
>>> related infrastructure in LLVM and finalizing an approach for IPRA, but
>>> instead I am able to implement a working (may not be fully correct)
>>> prototype because I have used community bonding period to discuss and learn
>>> related stuffs from the mentors and also due to patch for CodeGen
>>> reordering was provided by dear mentor Mehdi Amini.
>>>
>>> So I conclude the work done during this week as follows:
>>> Implementation :
>>> ============
>>> Following passes have been implemented during this week: An immutable
>>> pass to store competed RegMask, a  machine function pass that iterates
>>> through each registers and check if it is used or not and based on that
>>> details create a RegMask and a target specific machine function pass that
>>> uses the RegMask created by second pass and propagates information by
>>> updating call instructions RegMask. To update the RegMask of MI ,
>>> setRegMask() function has been added to MachineOperand, a command line
>>> option -enable-ipra and debug type -debug-only=“ipra" has been added to
>>> control the optimization through llc.
>>>
>>> Testing:
>>> =====
>>> The above mentioned implementation has been tested over SNU-Real-Time
>>> benchmark suit (http://www.cprover.org/goto-cc/examples/snu.html) and
>>> some simple programs that uses library function ( for a library function
>>> register allocation is not done by LLVM so this optimization will simply
>>> skip them)
>>>
>>> Study and Other:
>>> =============
>>> I have learned following things in LLVM, how it stores reg clobbering
>>> information? how it is used by Reg allocators through LivePhysRegs,
>>> LiveRegMatrix and other related passes? How to schedule a pass using
>>> TargetPassConfig and TargetMachine? What are called callee saved registers?
>>> What is an Immutable Pass? Apart from that I have also learned how to use
>>> phabricator to send review request. I have also read some related
>>> literatures.
>>>
>>> During this week though task was to schedule the passes in proper order
>>> so that dependencies of related passes are satisfied.
>>>
>>> Plan for next week:
>>> 1) Perform more testing and debug any known issue
>>> 2) Fine ture the implementation so as to eliminate any unnecessary work