[llvm-dev] Early CSE clobbering llvm.assume

Lawrence, Peter via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 14 10:36:14 PDT 2016

Daniel,
              What am I missing in the following chain of logic:

As far as constant-prop, value-prop, range-prop, and general property-propagation,

1. the compiler/optimizer *has* to get it right for if-then-else and while-do or else we should all start over ☺

2. “assert” takes advantage of this by being translated into if-then logic early on in the compilation

3. “assume” should also take advantage of this the same way. (generate a call to “pseudoabort” which
At some late stage gets deleted)

Sanjoy’s argument is faulty, if it were true we would also find our handling of “assert” to be unacceptable
but this is not the case, no one is arguing that we need to re-design “assert”.

And any argument you can make about needing to handle “assume” conditions in some special way can be
Turned around and applied to “if-then” conditions, but again no one is arguing that we need to re-design “if-then”
Information propagation.

Thanks,
--Peter.