[llvm-dev] [lld] r271569 - Start adding tlsdesc support for aarch64.

Rafael EspĂ­ndola via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 10 17:55:57 PDT 2016

> Or is the community in disagreement with Rafael's behaviour and will
> try to not only curb it, but openly and actively promote more
> collaboration by allowing other people to participate in the design
> and implementation of their own targets?

I did not block anything.

It is just that given the option of spending time to understand
undocumented patches that are basically "flip bits to look a bit more
like gold output until something works" or spend time on patches that
are properly documented I will spend time on the second.

The AArch64 documentation on tls consists of relocation numbers and a
link Oliva's original paper on adding tlsdesc on ARM. The patches did
nothing to improve that nor did they split optionals from fundamentals
(It really looks like we don't have to implement TLSDESC_PLT for
example)

This thread has consumed about as much time as getting aarch64 tls
working (bootstrapped llvm+clang+lld passes check-all). The resulting
implementation also used far less code than the original patches, so I
think it was a good thing they were not committed or it would have
been more work to clean up the aarch64 support (as it was to the
patches that were committed earlier).

Cheers,
Rafael