[llvm-dev] llvm intrinsics/libc/libm question

Ahmed Bougacha via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 9 11:10:39 PDT 2016

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 10:43 AM, Ryan Taylor <ryta1203 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Correct, it does check based on OS and triple, what I meant was that it
> might be better to have this info in the target specific files and have the
> LibraryInfo do a look up of that (like most other sections of the core code
> do, ie have the tablegen or ISelLowering specify the libs etc..)

I agree it's not the best place, but one difference is that
TargetLibraryInfo is much more about OSes than architectures.

> I'm not sure I follow about the RTLIB, I'm able to use an intrinsic for
> floor (def int_floor::Intrinsic in IntrinsicsXXX.td) and still use RTLIB to
> generate the appropriate name for the function (ie __xxx_floor). It sounds
> like you're implying either/or, not both?

No, I'm just saying that RTLIB only solves the codegen problem; you'll
need something else (like your intrinsic?) to have better IR
optimizations.

> I agree, it doesn't seem supported. It looks like I might just need to
> change 'TLI.has' and 'TLI.getName' in order to make this happen (potentially
> removing the prefix here). This goes back to my first point, the TLI should
> be changed to simply get this info generically from the target information,
> you seem to agree with that.

Hmm, what are you really trying to do?  If you want LLVM to recognize
your __xxx functions: yes, the cleanest solution is probably to teach
TLI and its users to recognize the "custom" names, and mark the
functions as available with your custom __xxx names.

HTH,
-Ahmed