[llvm-dev] LLD: Using sendfile(2) to copy file contents

Rui Ueyama via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 6 11:41:19 PDT 2016

As to leave an opportunity for the kernel, I think mmap+write would be
enough. Because the kernel knows what address is mmap'ed, it can detect
that write's source is actually a mmap'ed file and if that's the case it
can optimize as it does for sendfile. It seems that Linux doesn't do that
now, though.

I haven't thought about using non-temporal stores. It may work as we copy
very large amount of data, but after copying data, we read it back in order
to apply relocations, so I'm not sure if it's going to be overall win.

Finally, as to asynchronous IO, I'm wondering if it's effective. It seems
that not that many people are using asynchronous IO on Linux, and it is
often the case that minor paths are not optimized well. I agree that at
least in theory it could improve throughput, so it's worth a try.