[llvm-dev] intrinsic for memory mapped IO?

Han Wang via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Jun 5 13:27:04 PDT 2016

Hi,

Apologize if this is a dumb question, I am new to LLVM.

I would like to use LLVM-IR to as an intermediate language to generate stream processing hardware.

Basically, at the very least, I would like to be able to input a stream of bytes into IR, and perform
some operations on the bytes and output the stream bytes from IR.

I am thinking of using the `load` and `store` instructions for the IO task, but I am not sure
how to make the `load` instruction to load continuous stream of bytes from a memory address.

To some extent, it is similar to use `load` to read from a memory mapped IO address to receive
different bytes each time.

I wonder if anyone has done similar things before, any pointer or suggestion would be much appreciated.

Alternatively, I am thinking of adding my own target specific intrinsic function, is that a suggestable way forward?

Cheers,
Han