[llvm-dev] [LLVMdev] LLVM loop vectorizer

Alex Susu via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 3 18:13:46 PDT 2016

   Hello.
     Mikhail, I come back to this older thread.
     I need to do a few changes to LoopVectorize.cpp.

     One of them is related to figuring out the exact C source line and column number of
the loops being vectorized. I've noticed that a recent version of LoopVectorize.cpp prints
imprecise debug info for vectorized loops such as, for example, the location of a
character of an assignment statement inside the respective loop.
     It would help me a lot in my project to find the exact C source line and column
number of the first and last character of the loop being vectorized. (imprecise location
would make my life more complicated).
     Is this feasible? Or are there limitations at the level of clang of retrieving the
exact C source line and column number location of the beginning and end of a loop (it can
include indent chars before and after the loop)?
     (I've seen other examples with imprecise location such as the "Reading diagnostics"
chapter in the book https://books.google.ro/books?isbn=1782166939 .)

     Note: to be able to retrieve the debug info from the C source file we require to run
clang with -Rpass* options, as discussed before. Otherwise, if we run clang first, then
opt on the resulting .ll file which runs LoopVectorize, we lose the C source file debug
info (DebugLoc class, etc) and obtain the debug info from the .ll file. An example:
         clang -O3 3better.c -arch=mips -ffast-math -Rpass=debug -Rpass=loop-vectorize
-Rpass-analysis=loop-vectorize -S -emit-llvm -fvectorize -mllvm -debug -mllvm
-force-vector-width=16 -save-temps

   Thank you,
     Alex

On 2/18/2016 2:17 AM, Mikhail Zolotukhin wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> I'm not aware of efforts on loop coalescing in LLVM, but probably polly can do
> something like this. Also, one related thought: it might be worth making it a separate
> pass, not a part of loop vectorizer. LLVM already has several 'utility' passes (e.g.
> loop rotation), which primarily aims at enabling other passes.
>
> Thanks, Michael
>
>> On Feb 15, 2016, at 6:44 AM, RCU <alex.e.susu at gmail.com
>> <mailto:alex.e.susu at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Hello, Michael. I come back to this older email. Sorry if you receive it again.
>>
>> I am trying to implement coalescing/collapsing of nested loops. This would be
>> clearly beneficial for the loop vectorizer, also. I'm normally planning to start
>> modifying the LLVM loop vectorizer to add loop coalescing of the LLVM language.
>>
>> Are you aware of a similar effort on loop coalescing in LLVM (maybe even a different
>> LLVM pass, not related to the LLVM loop vectorizer)?
>>
>> Thank you, Alex
>>
>> On 7/9/2015 10:38 AM, RCU wrote:
>>>

>>> With best regards, Alex Susu

>>> I tried to simplify this code in the hope the loop vectorizer can take care of it
>>> better: I linearized...

>>> Thanks for the papers - these appear to be written in the header of the file
>>> implementing the loop vect. tranformation (found at
>>> "where-you-want-llvm-to-live"/llvm/lib/Transforms/Vectorize/LoopVectorize.cpp ).

(I can provide the exact code samples used).

.

<http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/>