[llvm-dev] Switching to git (Windows experience) (was re:[cfe-dev] GitHub anyone?)

Craig, Ben via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 3 07:42:58 PDT 2016

On 6/3/2016 9:31 AM, David Chisnall via llvm-dev wrote:
> On 3 Jun 2016, at 15:01, Aaron Ballman via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>> The end result is "go use the console". Whether that's because people
>> recommend it or because it's the only option is immaterial. The fact
>> remains, we don't have to do that today, we may have to do that
>> tomorrow, and some people view that as a regression. Let's not be
>> dismissive of that by claiming it's a personal preference, please.
> I don’t disagree, but the flip side of this argument is that git GUIs on *NIX platforms (including OS X) are far better than their svn alternatives, in part because things like committing individual parts of a set of changes independently are standard parts of a git workflow (and, in a large part, because the git CLI is a case study in poor UI design and so people have been far more motivated to write GUIs than for svn).
>
> David
And they almost always leave out big chunks of functionality that are
important for several use cases.  Basically, they figure out the
commands needed for a small set of workflows, ensure the best case
works, then stop there.

Coming from a perforce and SVN background, I think this is
understandable.  With perforce and SVN, you just don't have as many
options and possible workflows, so they tend to be a little easier to
learn, and a lot easier to wrap in a UI on the client side.