[llvm-dev] Immediate operand for load instruction, in back end

Alex Susu via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 2 09:05:16 PDT 2016

   Hello.
     Daniel, I was able to fix my back end following your advice and writing special LLVM
IR code, normally not generated by clang or opt (I have to do so, since my SIMD research
processor has it's own local memory, separate from the CPU memory).

     I've managed to solve the issue with the MemOperand suggested in the previous email,
below.

     In case this interests others, I'll be a bit more precise. Suppose I have the
following .ll file to compile with llc, with immediate address operands for load (and store):
       ; ModuleID = '3better.ll'
       target datalayout = "e-m:e-i64:64-f80:128-n8:16:32:64-S128"
       target triple = "x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu"

       ; Function Attrs: norecurse nounwind readonly uwtable
       define i64 @foo(i64* nocapture readnone %A, i64* nocapture readnone %B, i64*
nocapture readnone %C, i64 %N) #0 {
        entry:
         %wide.load = load <8 x i64>, <8 x i64>* inttoptr (i64 4161 to <8 x i64>*), align 4

         %Cptr = getelementptr inbounds i64, i64* %C, i64 0
         %Cptr_vec = bitcast i64* %Cptr to <8 x i64>*
         store <8 x i64> %wide.load, <8 x i64>* %Cptr_vec, align 4
         ;store <8 x i64> %wide.load, <8 x i64>* inttoptr (i64 5000 to <8 x i64>*), align 4

         %res = load i64, i64* inttoptr (i64 5000 to i64*), align 4
         ;%res = load i64, i64* %Cptr, align 4
         ret i64 %res
       }

       !0 = !{!"clang version 3.8.0 (trunk 253324)"}

  In the InstrInfo.td file I wrote:
   def immLeafAlex : ImmLeaf<i64, [{return 1;}]>;
   def uimm4_ptr : Operand<iPTR> {
     let PrintMethod = "printUnsignedImm";
   }

   class LD_DESC_BASE<string instr_asm, SDPatternOperator OpNode,
                    ValueType TyNode, RegisterOperand ROWD,
                    Operand MemOpnd = uimm4_ptr,

                    ImmLeaf Addr = immLeafAlex,
                    InstrItinClass itin = NoItinerary> {
     dag OutOperandList = (outs ROWD:$wd);
     dag InOperandList = (ins MemOpnd:$addrsrc);
     string AsmString = !strconcat("$wd = LocalMem[$addrsrc]", instr_asm);

     list<dag> Pattern = [(set ROWD:$wd, (TyNode (OpNode Addr:$addrsrc)))];
     InstrItinClass Itinerary = itin;
     string DecoderMethod = "DecodeMSA128Mem";
   }
   // similarly: class ST_DESC_BASE

   The new llc built with the above TableGen description is able to compile the above LLVM
program correctly.

   Best regards,
     Alex