[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] GitHub anyone?

Dan Liew via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 1 10:12:34 PDT 2016

> Even though git 1.7 or something deals with submodules better - I
> don't personally like them at all. I'd rather have a convenience
> script or something which pulls and clones the sources. Not everyone
> needs all the sources and then there's the question of all the
> subprojects and build.. etc Not changing the workflow here would be
> most sane..

Git submodule don't force you to clone all the submodules. Until you run

```
git submodule init
git submodule update
```

the directories for each submodule will stay empty. Thus it isn't
necessary to pull down all the sources when using git submodules.
This would need support from the build system though. I'm not sure
what the build system would do right now if it found an empty
``tools/clang`` directory in the source tree.