[llvm-dev] Upgrading to MSVC 2015

Sean Silva via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 29 14:00:50 PDT 2016

On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 1:23 PM, Robinson, Paul via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> There are certainly enough people making commits that work with VS2015 but
> not VS2013 that the "would it be useful" question is pretty well answered.
> I've already brought up the idea on my team, as it's obviously coming and
> we need time to coordinate with internal consumers of the toolchain.

Also, we have an increasing number of parts of the codebase that are
working around VS2013's inability to generate move constructors.
This is all over the new PM code and the passes ported to the new PM.
It has caused me personally hours of lost time and generally penalizes good
coding practices (exporting lifetime management to RAII is only so
convenient if you can't have a move-only type like a unique_ptr without
manually writing out move constructor/assign; and the diagnostics when this
VS2013 deficiency raises its head are.... confusing).

-- Sean Silva