[llvm-dev] [RFC] One or many git repositories?

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 29 10:22:50 PDT 2016

On 29 July 2016 at 18:14, Mehdi Amini <mehdi.amini at apple.com> wrote:
> I don’t see how this thread is dead or how it would help to stop the discussion as you’re trying to do. I’m opposed to that.

I'm not trying to stop discussions, I'm trying to help them be more effective.

What I propose that you do, and what we've done on the sub-modules
thread, is to split the discussion into sub-threads. There are too
many concerns, and a lot of irrelevant ones, being discussed in this
thread.

Writing the document will help, but there's a lot of good discussions
in this thread (in the last two days included) that not everyone is
paying attention (as they should). These discussions would be too much
for a document review, I think, so the list is still the best place we
can do this.

But a thread that is nearing 200 emails is less helpful than small
ones. It also encourages people to digress more than a few focused
discussions.

>From what I could pay attention, the current issues are:

1. What goes where? Where in the spectrum between today and a single
mono-repo do we stand, and why? This will affect the success of this
proposal, so needs to be ironed out before we do the survey.

2. What combination of mono-repo and shallow/sparse checkout do we
stand for the different scenarios? This one depends on the one above,
but it's more about projects' infrastructure and how can they adapt to
whatever new repo layout we choose.

> So please keep this thread alive, and wether I agree or not with the opinions expressed, I still want to hear more of these because they help pointing at the real weaknesses of the proposal, and eventually adjust it.

That's great! Can you start a few new threads on specific subjects,
summarising what has been discussed so far *only* for those topics?

thanks!
--renato