[llvm-dev] [RFC] One or many git repositories?

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 29 05:47:37 PDT 2016

On 29 July 2016 at 13:04, Dean Michael Berris via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Is it really impossible to just build non-LLVM dependent versions of libc++ or the sanitiser runtimes if they reside in one git megarepo?

The more intricate the relationship between the components, the less
we'll test for the alternative solutions.

My use is solely from a toolchain point of view. For me, having it all
in one blob would be perfect, and I would never have to worry about
integrations again. (in a perfect world, etc...)

But a good number of projects (and products) use LLVM trunk (not
releases) and they use in slightly different ways. This has driven a
lot of refactoring around the libraries over the last few years and I
think it's a positive thing. A good number of *upstream* developers
contribute to LLVM under those premises, and the harder we make for
them, the less of them we'll have. I don't think that's a wise move.

Furthermore, losing the ability to clearly separate things makes them
become one disparate group, rather than two independent ones.

cheers,
--renato