[llvm-dev] [RFC] One or many git repositories?

Justin Lebar via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 27 14:29:47 PDT 2016

> If I try to push from my sparse checkout, but something that I don't
> have in the checkout has changed, do I still need to rebase first?

Without trying it, yes, because git commits are git commits.

But you do not have to rebuild and retest everything, nor does the act
of rebasing necessarily update your llvm checkout, if you've made it
independent.  And the rebase will have conflicts if and only if you
would have had rebase conflicts in the multirepo world.

One could have a script that does the rebase and push in one shot if
typing two commands on submit is really a big deal.

FWIW git svn dcommit does the rebase implicitly -- in the monorepo or
multirepo worlds, we are all going to have to type "git rebase" more
often (unless we use a script).