[llvm-dev] [RFC] One or many git repositories?

Jonathan Roelofs via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 27 12:18:26 PDT 2016

On 7/27/16 12:30 PM, Justin Bogner via llvm-dev wrote:
> Justin Lebar via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> writes:
>>
>> Maybe I am wrong.  But I don't think we're going to get to the bottom
>> of it without actually engaging with people who are actually affected
>> in the way you posit.
>
> Well, I'm one of those people. I'm still convinced that, for me,
> switching to a monorepo is a few weeks or maybe a couple of months of
> disruption to my life[1] and we end up in a state that isn't any better,
> just arbitrarily different.
>
> [1]: re-cloning tens of repos across a few machines and migrating
>      branches from them, adjusting my workflow to deal with the new
>      layout, blowing away all of my existing build trees, arguing about
>      how to handle legacy branches that now need to merge between a
>      multi-repo layout and a monorepo layout, asking people to update
>      bot configs, figuring out how the downstream clones of
>      clang-without-llvm that I have to deal with will work, etc).

Would this be mitigated for you if the existing git mirrors continued to
work as-is, with their history at some point coming from the monorepo
instead of from git-svn?

(i.e. use a monorepo, but re-construct the commits to the individual git
repositories with some cron job, or hooks, or otherwise)

Jon

--
Jon Roelofs
jonathan at codesourcery.com