[llvm-dev] [PM] I think that the new PM needs to learn about inter-analysis dependencies...

Sean Silva via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 27 03:58:42 PDT 2016

Okay, did the big renaming and de-templating today (and removing the
proxies).

check-llvm worked fine, except that this test caught a bug (yay!):
unittests/IR/PassManagerTest.cpp:326

After removing the proxies, the module pass is not invalidating the
function passes (since the invalidation is on the module IRUnit). we now
don't have a method for delegating the invalidation from outer IRUnit's to
inner IRUnit's.
I'll try to add a mechanism for the analysis manager to do this itself if
there's a straightforward way to do so. Not sure the best way. We can't
just iterate over all the functions calling `invalidate`; a module pass may
have e.g. deleted a function, so we would never call `invalidate` on the
deleted function. A simple solution is to add another member to the
analysis manager which tracks, for each IRUnitT, all IRUnit's that we have
state cached for (so we can easily walk them).

Interestingly, it seems like the current state in trunk is that a module
analysis can't preserve a specific function analysis. The only way that
analysis invalidation can propagate downwards is by clearing the entire
inner analysis manager.
So I think this means that the current state in trunk is that if a function
transformation returns PreservedAnalyses::none(), it will invalidate all
loop analyses for all functions.
(I think Chandler mentioned this issue in passing here:
https://reviews.llvm.org/D21921#inline-187608)

(slightly more info in my log)

Anyway, for now, I'll try to do something that is as NFC as possible.
Hopefully just tracking all the IRUnit's per IRUnitT will allow us to
emulate the proxy-based invalidation fairly well.

It is probably relevant to discuss how we want to "properly" deal with this
with the unified analysis manager for all IRUnitT's.

One solution is to have the pass managers (actually, the adaptors),
push/pop a stack of the current IRUnit nest (e.g. the stack might contain
at a given point in time something like `[Module foo, Function @bar]` or
`[Module foo, SCC bar, Function @baz, Loop %qux]`).
The key information that is needed is for the analysis manager to be able
to reconstruct a parent-child relationship of IRUnit's (which might contain
parent-child links that are no longer obtainable from the parent IRUnit;
e.g. when you go to invalidate analyses after running a module pass that
deleted a function; the analysis manager must still track that relationship
even if the module has already forgotten about the function).

I don't see any reasonable way to do this without cooperation from the
adaptors, because (like the example "IRUnit stacks" I showed above) the
analysis manager would need a way to know whether to map back to a
particular SCC or to a particular Module (or potentially both).

-- Sean Silva