[llvm-dev] Gauging interest in generating PDBs from LLVM-backed languages

Michael Lewis via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jul 26 19:02:29 PDT 2016

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 12:30 PM, Zachary Turner <zturner at google.com> wrote:

> I wrote most of the pdb code in llvm so far. As Reid suggested, if you
> look in DebugInfo/PDB/Raw there is a significant amount of code dealing
> with msf files and raw pdb streams. If you build the llvm-pdbdump tool you
> can run it with the "raw" subcommand to dump lots of low level info from
> the file.
>
> It's pretty complete for reading pdb files, and I'm actively working on
> expanding write support.

I'll check into that again. I ran across llvm-pdbdump earlier but couldn't
get it to build on a vanilla 3.8 install (CMake is convinced I don't have
the DIA SDK and I haven't found a way to change its mind). I stopped short
of reading the code though so I wasn't aware of how much is actually there!

Anyways, I'll pore over what's in trunk and see if there's anything I can
contribute. Thanks for the pointer.

 - Mike