[llvm-dev] [PM] I think that the new PM needs to learn about inter-analysis dependencies...

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jul 26 07:00:00 PDT 2016

----- Original Message -----

> From: "Chandler Carruth" <chandlerc at google.com>
> To: "Hal J. Finkel" <hfinkel at anl.gov>, "Sean Silva"
> <chisophugis at gmail.com>

Sure, but we need some solution in order to port our current set of passes to the new pipeline. It sounds like you're proposing that we make the passes that require LCSSA exit early if the IR is not in LCSSA form, and then add the LCSSA pass explicitly into the pipeline, or always do the work to actively put the IR into LCSSA form in each pass that requires it (unless someone is going to do the work now to make LCSSA preserved by all other relevant passes)? What do you feel is the preferred path forward here?

> [...]
>
> > > if ( AM.getCachedResult <IndicatorT>(IR))
>
> > > return;
>
> > > CanonicalizationT C;
>
> > > PreservedAnalysis PA = C.run (IR, AM);
>
> > > AM.invalidate (IR, PA);
>
> > > (void) AM.getResult <IndicatorT>(IR);
>
> > > }
>

> > > ```
>

> > > One place that talks about this problem of "requiring a
> > > transformation" is
> > > http://llvm.org/devmtg/2014-04/PDFs/Talks/Passes.pdf on slide 17.
>

> > > One reason it provides for "we shouldn't do that" is that if you
> > > think about these things as "canonicalize the IR into a specific
> > > form", then when you have N>1 such dependencies (like some passes
> > > do on LoopSimplify and LCSSA), one must have a subset of the
> > > requirements of the other. I.e. you can't have two
> > > canonicalizations that "fight" each other. Using an explicit
> > > mutation API like the strawman above is a bit less bulletproof
> > > than scheduling based on statically known interferences between
> > > canonicalizations (e.g. CanonicalizationA may invalidate
> > > CanonicalizationB, but not the reverse, so it would automatically
> > > know to run CanonicalizationA before CanonicalizationB), but
> > > given
> > > that we have relatively few "canonicalizations" (to give them a
> > > name) that use this feature of the old PM, it may be livable (at
> > > least in the middle-end, it seems like there is just LCSSA,
> > > LoopSimplify, BreakCriticalEdges, and LowerSwitch in calls to
> > > addPreservedID/addRequiredID).
>

> > > I don't find the "Causes rampant re-running of invalidated
> > > analyses" argument in that slide convincing. If a pass needs the
> > > IR in LCSSA then it needs it. There isn't much we can do about
> > > that.
>

> > > One invariant I'd like to preserve in the new pass manager is
> > > that
> > > whatever pipeline is provided on the opt command line, we end up
> > > running something "valid"; so a cop-out like "if a pass needs
> > > LCSSA, you need to make sure to add LCSSA at an appropriate place
> > > before it in the pipeline" is not something I think is reasonable
> > > (way too error-prone).
>

> > > Small rant:
>

> > > We already are in this error-prone situation in the new PM with
> > > the
> > > need to call `getCachedResult` to access analyses from a larger
> > > IRUnitT (e.g. the situation I explained in the post-commit thread
> > > of r274712);
>

> > Yea, I don't like this either. I think we both agree that we need a
> > better solution to this. I think we should fix this now and then
> > deal with potential concurrency issues when we actually have a
> > design for that so we know what that means.
>
> FWIW, I strongly disagree.

> I think it would be better to iterate on this once we understand how
> the new pass manager works. I think exposing the fact that these
> things are cached is really important and useful, and it makes
> querying across IR unit boundaries significantly more clear at the
To be clear, the current code looks like this:

LoopAccessInfo LoopAccessAnalysis::run(Loop &L, AnalysisManager<Loop> &AM) {
const AnalysisManager<Function> &FAM =
AM.getResult<FunctionAnalysisManagerLoopProxy>(L).getManager();
Function &F = *L.getHeader()->getParent();
auto *SE = FAM.getCachedResult<ScalarEvolutionAnalysis>(F);
auto *TLI = FAM.getCachedResult<TargetLibraryAnalysis>(F);
auto *AA = FAM.getCachedResult<AAManager>(F);
auto *DT = FAM.getCachedResult<DominatorTreeAnalysis>(F);
auto *LI = FAM.getCachedResult<LoopAnalysis>(F);
if (!SE)
report_fatal_error(
"ScalarEvolution must have been cached at a higher level");
if (!AA)
report_fatal_error("AliasAnalysis must have been cached at a higher level");
if (!DT)
report_fatal_error("DominatorTree must have been cached at a higher level");
if (!LI)
report_fatal_error("LoopInfo must have been cached at a higher level");
auto *DI = UseDA ? FAM.getCachedResult<DependenceAnalysis>(F) : nullptr;
return LoopAccessInfo(&L, SE, DI, TLI, AA, DT, LI);
}

I don't find this an acceptable design. These passes are required, and the pass manager should provide them in a reasonable way. Alternatively, the pass needs to exit early if its dependencies are not met.

-Hal

--

Hal Finkel
Assistant Computational Scientist