[llvm-dev] [RFC] Make Lanai backend non-experimental

Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jul 25 11:46:09 PDT 2016

On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 9:42 AM Renato Golin via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On 19 July 2016 at 17:04, Martin J. O'Riordan via llvm-dev
> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> > Presumably if my out-of-tree backend was to be pushed to LLVM, it too
> would be considered experimental.
>
> Yes. Though, not all out-of-tree back-ends end up upstream for
> different reasons.
>
> A few basic rules to get accepted are if:
>  * the target exists and can be easily purchased / emulated for
> investigating problems,
>  * there are official documents / specs published by the project /
> company that maintains the targets,

Most of your list makes a lot of sense to me Renato, but these two items
don't really.

I think a large number of targets in tree would be *extremely* hard to
purchase and directly investigate problems. As examples:

- Hexagon
- SystemZ
- XCore

I'm sure it is theoretically possible for me to acquire such a system and
test on it, but the amount of time and energy it would take make it a
practical impossibility.

Even for fairly pedestrian backends such as AArch64 and PowerPC, we
routinely have people ask active developers on those backends to do the
triaging of issues. I've never seen this be a problem in practice, and I'm
not convinced that it is something we should actually require to have an
upstream backend.

I also worry that we have backends for targets that don't have any (real)
published ISA spec. I'm not sure there is a formal "spec" per-se for BPF.
And perhaps there is a spec for AMDGPU or Hexagon, but even when I've asked
developers on those backends about problems, they've not pointed be at the
published ISA documentation.

And I don't think any of these backends are bad or should be removed. I
rather like several of them. =] I just think that sufficient community
involvement makes the availability of hardware/emulator "nice to have" but
not essential, and it makes the ISA documentation substantially less
important.

The rest of your list below though, I think is a great list.