[llvm-dev] [RFC] One or many git repositories?

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jul 25 03:55:45 PDT 2016

On 25 July 2016 at 11:19, Daniel Sanders <Daniel.Sanders at imgtec.com> wrote:
> I'd like to see this too. I'd prefer not to make it a requirement for _all_
> buildbots to pass before commit though. I'm thinking that we could make
> passing 'fast' buildbots mandatory before commit but leave 'slow' buildbots
> in the current post-commit testing scheme. That way targets that can provide
> fast buildbots will win additional stability guarantees but the community
> isn't held back by the slowest buildbot. We'd have to discuss where we'd
> draw the line between 'fast' and 'slow'.

I think targets that want the additional stability should provide
*additional* pre-commit bots. Not all commits will be pull requests,
and skipping fast bots on non-pull requests wouldn't be wise.

They also have a different requirement and will take on more patches
than the post-commit bots and potentially a lot more *broken* patches.
We should not have them in the same infrastructure or at least not
with the same configuration, scale, etc. as the post commit ones.

--renato