[llvm-dev] [RFC] One or many git repositories?

Mehdi Amini via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 22 19:28:56 PDT 2016

> On Jul 22, 2016, at 12:31 AM, David Chisnall <David.Chisnall at cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> On 22 Jul 2016, at 07:14, Mehdi Amini via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>>
>> Just tried to set it up there: https://github.com/joker-eph/llvm-unified
>> (git log —follow is working fine with this setup).
>>
>> While it preserves the history fine (I.e. the hashes are identical to the current git), it has a drawback: there isn’t anymore a common ancestor for the parents of the merge (this may or may not be an issue in practice, not sure yet, but it is uncommon for git).
>
> Perhaps I’m missing something, but on GitHub I can’t see any of the history.  Assuming that this is just a GitHub UI issue,

Probably, this should be populated: https://github.com/joker-eph/llvm-unified/commits/master
History for one file isn’t great on github because it does not follow move: https://github.com/joker-eph/llvm-unified/commits/master/llvm/CMakeLists.txt

On the command line, `git log —follow llvm/CMakeLists.txt` works fine.

> can you explain the steps for a downstream user who has clones of the llvm and clang repos that were forked at some point in the past, have been periodically merged, and contain a load of commits on top of upstream would migrate to using this?

Taking cheri as an example, it seems you have a repo for clang and one for llvm (https://github.com/CTSRD-CHERI/clang and https://github.com/CTSRD-CHERI/llvm)

You can create the unified repo for cheri quite easily, it is roughly doing this:

1) checkout llvm, move everything to a llvm subdir, commit
2) checkout clang, move everything to a clang subdir, commit
3) merge clang/master into llvm/master.
4) done.

From now you should be able to merge the unified repo (the first merge may require extra git-fu)

I just tried the attached script to unify cheri, it takes a few minutes to fetch from github, and a few seconds to merge. To be used as `./unify-cheri.sh cheri-unified` (it’ll create a directory cheri-unified, fetch and merge).