[llvm-dev] HEAD compilation causes gcc internal error

Welson Sun via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 22 14:18:31 PDT 2016

After worked around the problem in SimplifyCFG.cpp (calling isCast()
instead of comparing opcode), I hit another gcc crash for
FunctionImport.cpp line 480, which I have no idea what's wrong with the
code. "Luckily", I found gcc4.8.2 and gave it a try, both crashes are gone.

*New problem though:*
/llvm-clang-trunk/src/tools/clang/lib/CodeGen/CGBuiltin.cpp: In member
function ?llvm::Value*
clang::CodeGen::CodeGenFunction::EmitAMDGPUBuiltinExpr(unsigned int, const
clang::CallExpr*)?:
/llvm-clang-trunk/src/tools/clang/lib/CodeGen/CGBuiltin.cpp:7283:39:
error: *?r600_rsq?
is not a member of ?llvm::Intrinsic?*
     return emitUnaryBuiltin(*this, E, Intrinsic::r600_rsq);
                                       ^
/llvm-clang-trunk/src/tools/clang/lib/CodeGen/CGBuiltin.cpp:7289:39:
error: *?AMDGPU_ldexp?
is not a member of ?llvm::Intrinsic?*
     return emitFPIntBuiltin(*this, E, Intrinsic::AMDGPU_ldexp);
                                       ^

Actually, if I didn't configure to target AMDGPU, why bothering compiling
these code?

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 11:52 AM, Reid Kleckner <rnk at google.com> wrote:

> We can definitely accept a non-invasive patch to work around the issue.
> GCC 4.8 is definitely inside our toolchain support window.
>
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 2:51 PM, Welson Sun via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
>> Sure this is more likely a gcc bug. However, same toolchain compiled
>> without any problems a week ago. Also, in some organizations, upgrading gcc
>> is very hard if not impossible.
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 11:11 AM, Paulo Matos via llvm-dev <
>> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

>>> My guess is that you're better off posting this to the GCC mailing list.
>>> It's not LLVM's fault GCC crashed on this. On the other hand, you might
>>> want to try reproducing this with a more recent compiler before
>>> announcing the issue on the GCC side.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Paulo Matos
>>>

>> --