[llvm-dev] Problem of array index manipulation collection of LLVM IR

Mehdi Amini via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 21 20:48:32 PDT 2016

> On Jul 21, 2016, at 8:28 PM, Qingkun Meng <mengqingkun1988 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >if you are interested about what gets actually *executed*, some of these computation will be folded in the addressing mode depending on the architecture
>
> If I just want to collect array index manipulation lexically, is there any reliable solution?

It depends what you expect exactly. What would be the ideal output for you on the example you provided before?
Also what is the use-case? (I.e. *why* do you want this information).

> By noting this
> >Some people are doing these kind of analyses using debug info to map back to the source code
> do you mean reversing to source code from LLVM IR? Is there any open source project? I am very appreciated you could refer it to me.

I meant debug information as what clang generates with -g.
For instance, try with a simple example:

$ cat test.c
int foo(int a, int b) {
  return a + b;
}

And look at the difference in the output when compiled with -g or not (i.e. `clang -emit-llvm -S test.c -O3 -o -` and  `clang -emit-llvm -S test.c -O3 -o - -g`).
In the first you’ll get something like:

define i32 @foo(i32, i32) #0 {
  %3 = add nsw i32 %1, %0
  ret i32 %3
}

while in the second case it will look like (stripped to keep only the relevant informations):

define i32 @foo(i32, i32) #0 !dbg !7 {
  tail call void @llvm.dbg.value(metadata i32 %0, i64 0, metadata !12, metadata !14), !dbg !15
  tail call void @llvm.dbg.value(metadata i32 %1, i64 0, metadata !13, metadata !14), !dbg !16
  %3 = add nsw i32 %1, %0, !dbg !17
  ret i32 %3, !dbg !18
}
[…]
!1 = !DIFile(filename: "test.c", directory: “…")
[…]
!7 = distinct !DISubprogram(name: "foo", scope: !1, file: !1, line: 1, type: !8, isLocal: false, isDefinition: true, scopeLine: 1, flags: DIFlagPrototyped, isOptimized: true, unit: !0, variables: !11)
[….]
!12 = !DILocalVariable(name: "a", arg: 1, scope: !7, file: !1, line: 1, type: !10)
!13 = !DILocalVariable(name: "b", arg: 2, scope: !7, file: !1, line: 1, type: !10)
!14 = !DIExpression()
!15 = !DILocation(line: 1, column: 13, scope: !7)
!16 = !DILocation(line: 1, column: 20, scope: !7)
!17 = !DILocation(line: 2, column: 12, scope: !7)
!18 = !DILocation(line: 2, column: 3, scope: !7)

Now from there you can analyze the IR and see that there is an addition for two values (%0 and %1), and the calls to llvm.dbg.value points you to some information about these variables (name, type, source location).

—
Mehdi