[llvm-dev] [RFC] One or many git repositories?

Robinson, Paul via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 21 16:39:34 PDT 2016

I'm not clear why imposing this cost on everybody who wants less-than-all
(which I'd think would be most people) is superior to the submodule thing
which can be maintained centrally by people who actually understand how to
do it.

> As a downstream integrator, you can filter out the repo history as you
> want before merging into your repo.

Hmmm maybe, maybe not.  It sounds like the claim is: you can do a sparse
checkout of upstream, then merge it to a different branch, and get only
the history of the stuff that was sparsely checked out.  Does this work
with subtree merges?  Our branches are not rooted at the 'llvm' directory,
and I am suspicious about what the sparse checkout config would do to the
local branch.  (I know, I should do the experiment myself, but right now
I'm in the middle of a release-prep circus and really shouldn't be
spending the time to write this email:-).)

If all of this magic *does* work, then mainly it's a matter of scripting
the sparse-checkout config and deploying that internally.  Not free, but
maybe not horrible either.
--paulr