[llvm-dev] [RFC] One or many git repositories?

Mehdi Amini via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 21 14:29:09 PDT 2016

> On Jul 21, 2016, at 11:03 AM, Sanjoy Das via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> FWIW, like David Chisnall, we (Azul) have a problem with rewriting
> history.
> Our LLVM fork has O(100) changes diverging from upstream
> (though our branching structure is simple), and keeping all of that
> history is important.

Nobody downstream has to adopt the new structure, I believe it is possible to extract only the “llvm” commits from the new repo and rebase them on top of the existing llvm repo.
This can be done on the fly by you CI, but it is also a deterministic process, i.e. you can restart from scratch anytime (assuming you have the original llvm.git repo and the new one).

> What do people think of having one (or a set of) merge commit(s)
> merging in the non-llvm projects that will be part of the new
> monorepo?  That's the only technique I can think of that will preserve
> history for downstream users by construction.

I have no idea what you mean here?

—
Mehdi