[llvm-dev] [RFC] One or many git repositories?

David Chisnall via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 21 09:43:17 PDT 2016

On 21 Jul 2016, at 17:16, Justin Lebar <jlebar at google.com> wrote:

>> Our clones of LLVM and clang have a reasonable amount of history (a couple of hundred commits, I believe), including multiple branches, that we’d want to preserve.  Both branches have merged from upstream multiple times.  It’s one of the smaller friendly forks that I know about.  I’ve not used git filter-branch before, but I’d be very impressed if there is some simple invocation that can can move from this model.
>
> James and I owe you something here.  I think this can be handled in a
> straightforward manner, but I am not 100% sure how at the moment.  I
> agree this is very important.
>
> Our demo would be much more compelling if we can use an existing
> branch.  Does anyone know of one we can play with?

Ours are public:

https://github.com/ctsrd-cheri/llvm/
https://github.com/ctsrd-cheri/clang/

If you can provide a convincing demo of how we migrate from there (and how we migrate local clones of that) to a new model then I’d happily withdraw all objections.

I still don’t really like the single repo model, as I’d rather see LLVM fulfil its promise of being a set of modular reusable libraries with less tight coupling, allowing all of the subprojects to evolve at different rates, but I won’t object on purely aesthetic grounds.

David